- 1 Smartxchoices 30″ Inch Kids Electric Guitar With 5W Amp & Much More Guitar Combo Accessory Kit Holiday Gift (Blue)
- 2 Trendy 30 Inch Classical Guitar (1/2 Size), Package, Basswood, Black
- 3 ADM Beginner Classical Guitar 30 Inch Nylon Strings Bundle with Carrying Bag & Accessories, Natural Gloss
- 4 Smartxchoices Acoustic Guitar for Starter Beginner Music Lovers Kids Gift 38″ 6-String Folk Beginners Acoustic Guitar
- 5 30″ Kids Pink Electric Guitar with Amp & Much More Guitar Combo Accessory Kit
Looking For The Best Guitars For Beginner Child?
Here’s a look at our favorites, including our top pick the – Smartxchoices 30″ Inch Kids Electric Guitar With 5W Amp.
#1 Best Guitar For Beginner Child
So, your child wants to learn how to play the guitar. Maybe it was all their idea, or maybe you dropped a few subtle hints here and there with the picture of your child up on stage some day in your mind. Perhaps playing the guitar was once your passion, and now you want to pass that love of music down to your children.
Whatever the situation may be, I applaud you, as many parents shoot down the idea of their child making more noise in the house with an instrument. But not you—you’re the cool mom (or dad). And I’m excited to help you pick out a good beginner guitar for them.
What to look for in a beginner guitar for a child
The first big question (and the one you’ve probably already thought of) is whether to go with an acoustic or an electric guitar. Some people contend that the electric guitar is easier to learn than the acoustic, but there are just as many arguments that acoustic is easier than electric. In my experience, they’re equally challenging to learn.
Rather than focusing on which one is better to learn to play with, I’d focus on what kind of music your child wants to play. If they like country music, campfire songs, and stripped-down acoustic songs, then the acoustic guitar is the best choice. If they prefer to head-bang in the back of the car to rock and roll, then I’d recommend going with an electric guitar. In the long run you’ll probably end up purchasing both styles of guitar as most guitar players have one of each to broaden their abilities, so don’t sweat over the decision too much.
Once you’ve decided which style is best for your child, the hunt is on for a quality instrument that doesn’t break the bank. After all, your child may be a guitar fanatic right now, but it’s not uncommon to see children switch to another interest in time. As you’re considering your options, here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Size – Guitars come in all kinds of shapes and sizes. Children’s guitars are usually around 30 inches, while adult guitars are about 40 – inches (41 if you go with the dreadnaught style). Acoustic guitars are deeper than electric guitars, so you’ll also want to consider your child’s arm length.
- Comfort – you’ll want to go with a low-action guitar that makes it easier for your child to press on the strings. Make sure the action isn’t too low, however, as that will cause some a buzzing tone on the strings when they play.
- Price – you should be able to get a quality children’s acoustic or electric guitar for $50 – $70. Considering it’s their first guitar and they may eventually decide they don’t want to play anymore, your goal is to find a good quality instrument that isn’t too much of an investment. At most, I wouldn’t spend more than $100.
Smartxchoices 30″ Inch Kids Electric Guitar With 5W Amp & Much More Guitar Combo Accessory Kit Holiday Gift (Blue)
If your child is an aspiring rock star, this is the one for you. This Smartxchoices axe is top quality with a hardwood body, rosewood fretboard, steel strings, and a killer black and blue finish that’s well worth showing off to friends and family.
The mini 5-watt amp is small enough that it can be clipped to your child’s clothing, making it easily portable. The kit comes with the guitar, 5-watt amp, travel back with backpack straps, guitar strap, picks, extra steel strings, and chord.
My first acoustic guitar was black, so I’m partial to this one. The Trendy 30-inch Classical Guitar has solid, durable construction, with a good tone and comfortable action. The fretboard has a smaller scale length, so it’s great for beginners with small hands. This set comes with a soft-shell travel bag, which will make it easily transportable when you’re shuttling your child to and from their guitar lessons.
ADM Beginner Classical Guitar 30 Inch Nylon Strings Bundle with Carrying Bag & Accessories, Natural Gloss
ADM was started by musicians who wanted to make quality, affordable guitars for beginners and children. This guitar certainly fits that mandate. It has an all-wood construction with a smooth, natural finish, and low action springs that makes it easy for children to press the strings.
The set provides you everything you need to get started—the guitar, a soft-shell travel bag, a strap, picks, extra stings, a polishing cloth, and an electric tuner. If you’re shopping for a girl, it also comes in pink.
Smartxchoices Acoustic Guitar for Starter Beginner Music Lovers Kids Gift 38″ 6-String Folk Beginners Acoustic Guitar
The Smartxchoice Acoustic Guitar is another great acoustic option, and it’s the best value option on the list. The guitar is made of all wood, with steel strings and a glossy finish. It’s a little bit bigger than the other guitars (38”), so it’s ideally suited for children with longer arms. The set includes the guitar, a soft-shell case, guitar pick, pitch pipe, strap, and an extra set of strings. It comes in four color options: black, blue, light brown, and pink.
If you’re looking for an electric guitar that offers a little more value, this is a great pick. The Smartxchoices Kids Electric Guitar is a comfortable 30” long, with a quality all-wood construction and steel strings. The starter kit comes with the guitar, travel bag, picks, strap, extra strings, chord, and a kids-size 5-watt amp. It also has a few fun color options, letting you choose between blue, pink, or black.
If you’re looking for a child’s size acoustic guitar, I’d recommend going with the Trendy 30 Inch Classical Guitar or the ADM Beginner Classical Guitar—both are great quality at a good price. If your child has longer arms, the 38” Smartxchoices Acoustic Guitar is a great choice at an even better value.
For an electric guitar, I’d lean towards the Smartxchoices 30” Kids Electric Guitar, as it offers superior quality with an all-wood body, rosewood fretboard, steel strings, and a rocking paint job. That said, if you’d like an electric guitar with a slightly lower price tag, the 30” Kids Pink Electric Guitar is a great option—especially if your child is a girl that needs that pink paint job.