All Reviewed Products Contain Paid Links To Amazon.com
Looking For The Best Camera For Musicians?
Here’s a look at our favorites, including our top pick – the Zoom Q2n.
Whether you are an amateur musician looking for your first big break or an experienced pro who is already filling stadiums, you want to carefully record all your best moves. Having a solid camera in your gear bag will make it easier to record your performances, document your practice sessions and continually improve your look and sound.
There are a number of things to look for when shopping for a camera, and there is no one right model that will be perfect for every musician. Here are some key things to look for in a camera for yourself or the musician in your life.
- Quality resolution – The resolution will be key, so look for a camera with high resolution and easily adjustable settings.
- Low light ready – Those clubs can be pretty dark, so look for a camera that works well in low light.
- Stability – You do not want to end up with a shaky shot, so look for a camera that is easy to stabilize and simple to use.
- Simple design – You want to make sure every member of your crew, from the roadie loading your gear to the drummer behind the scenes, is able to use the camera, so focus on easy controls and an intuitive design.
- An affordable price – Few musicians have an unlimited budget, so you need a camera with high-quality features but a low price.
Finding all of those features on a single camera is not always easy, but it can be done. Here are some of our favorite cameras for musicians of all ages and abilities.
The Zoom Q2n Handy Video Recorder is one of the best, and easiest to use, cameras on our list. Designed for the serious musician or the beginner, this great camera is compact, affordable and a great choice for any player.
Despite its affordable price, the Zoom Q2n Handy Video Recorder comes with a number of high-end features and benefits, including:
- 160-degree wide-angle lens for exceptional on-stage video
- 10 preset scenes makes the camera perfect for all kind of lighting environments
- Built-in X/Y stereo mic can handle even the loudest of music
- High resolution 24-bit/96 kHz audio
- Saves in MPEG-4 video and audio WAV format
If you are looking for a serious musician camera for an affordable price, the Zoom Q2n Handy Video Recorder is almost impossible to beat.
The Zoom Q4n Handy Video Recorder is another worthy contender on our list, and Amazon.com buyers clearly agree. This handy compact musician camera currently sports high average user rating on most popular retail sites, and the reviews are almost universally excellent.
The Zoom Q4n Handy Video Recorder also comes with a long list of features every serious musician will appreciate, but comes with an intuitive design that even the beginner will love. Among the features on this great camera are:
- 160-degree lens for maximum flexibility and range of motion
- Built-in stereo microphone is configurable for A/B or X/Y
- Handles sound levels up to 140 dB SPL
- Ten scene options means the camera can handle different lighting conditions with ease
- Records up to 128GB directly to SDXC cards
With so much to offer, it is easy to see why this musician camera is such a popular choice. This is definitely one to consider.
The Zoom Q8 Handy Video Recorder is another excellent choice for amateur and professional musicians alike. It’s the most expensive in the Zoom line of cameras for musicians, so if you have a little extra money to spend & you’re looking to step your game up, then maybe consider picking up this camera.
The Zoom Q8 Handy Video Recorder comes packed with features and benefits every musician will appreciate. The compact size makes the camera easy to carry, and the intuitive controls make it just as easy to use. Some of the many features buyers of the Zoom Q8 Handy Video Recorder can enjoy include:
- Support for up to 5 HD video modes
- Resolution of up to 2304×1296 pixels
- Two WVGA modes
- Compatibility with all zoom mic capsules
- Top quality 160-degree lens
- Supports up to 4 tracks of simultaneous recording
- Detachable stereo X/Y mic
With so many features and benefits, it is clear the Zoom Q8 Handy Video Recorder is one of the best on the market, and one of the most versatile on our list. If you are looking for one camera that does it all, this could be the one for you.
Sony is a widely respected name in the audiovisual world, so it is only fitting that one of its cameras makes our list. The Sony HDR-MV1 Music Video Recorder (Black) clearly has a lot to offer, and it carries a highly respectable rating online which is further proof of its quality, durability and usefulness for musicians of all stripes.
The Sony HDR-MV1 Music Video Recorder (Black) comes packed with features, including many that experienced musicians will appreciate. Among the features of this worthy camera are:
- Powerful and versatile LPCM and AAC works with all kinds of music
- 120-degree X/Y mic makes capturing stereo sound faster and easier
- Top quality 30p HD video provides excellent quality in low light
- Durable compact design
If you are looking for a solid camera for the stage or the practice room, the Sony HDR-MV1 Music Video Recorder (Black) is definitely one to consider. With its sleek design and intuitive controls, it is the perfect choice for both amateur and professional musicians.
Some may say we have saved the best for last, and there is certainly reason to feel that way. The Besteker 1080P 30 FTPS HDMI 10X Optical Zoom and 120X Digital Zoom Video Camera Camcorder with External Microphone is the only one of our musician-friendly cameras to enjoy perfect ratings across different sites, so it is clear that current owners see real value in the device.
The Besteker 1080P 30 FTPS HDMI 10X Optical Zoom and 120X Digital Zoom Video Camera Camcorder with External Microphone is certainly the best-reviewed camera on our list, and it comes with an impressive list of features that musicians everywhere will appreciate. Buyers of this top quality camera can enjoy:
- A 10x optical zoom to put you close to the action
- A 120x digital zoom for the ultimate control and exceptional photo and video editing
- External microphone designed to pick up sound clearly, with minimal distortion and exceptional fidelity
- Real-time broadcasting feature lets you share your performances with the world
- Multifunctional design, with a 5.0MP CMOS sensor
- Supports media sizes up to 64GB
- Works with standard tripods
- Uses standard SD/TF cards
The Besteker 1080P 30 FTPS HDMI 10X Optical Zoom and 120X Digital Zoom Video Camera Camcorder with External Microphone is the only 5-star contender on our list, but it is not the only worthy contender. If you are looking for a great camera for the stage, each of the cameras on our list would be great choices.